background

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Lamb Follows the Sheep

This week when preparing for my visiting teaching (yes I waited until the last minute..again!) I realized that we didn't have a specific message this month. Instead, we got to pick a general conference talk. I came across Richard J. Manyes talk titled "Establishing a Christ-Centered Home". I don't remember this talk during conference, or the speaker, but I'm really glad I took the time to read it. In it he talks about how we have a responsibility as parents to teach our children the principles of the gospel, and to follow them ourselves. But my favorite part of the talk was the poem he included. It really touched me and I thought I would share with you guys.....
(C.C. Miller's "The Echo")

’Twas a sheep not a lamb
That strayed away in the parable Jesus told,
A grown-up sheep that strayed away
From the ninety and nine in the fold.
And why for the sheep should we seek
And earnestly hope and pray?
Because there is danger when sheep go wrong:
They lead the lambs astray.
Lambs will follow the sheep, you know,
Wherever the sheep may stray.
When sheep go wrong,
It won’t take long till the lambs are as wrong as they.
And so with the sheep we earnestly plead
For the sake of the lambs today,
For when the sheep are lost
What a terrible cost
The lambs will have to pay.

It made me analzye the way I speak and act in front of my daughter, and more importantly what I am teaching her. Even though she's only two, I know she's watching everything i'm doing.

Later that night I went went to a Relief Society gathering and the topic was on parenting with love and Christ-like parenting ( I think someone's trying to send me a message!) I was so glad I went, it was really great and the speaker was awesome. It reminded me that I might not always be the perfect parent, and down the road my children may not always make right choices, but if I rear my children with patience and Christ-like attributes He will know I did my best.
Thanks Sister Paul for the spiritual boost!!














No comments:

Post a Comment